The Center for Health and the Global Environment is a home for innovative researchers and educators who explore how to create environments that promote health. By focusing on environmental change through the lens of human health, we are able to reach people in concrete, personal terms they can relate to and understand.
The Center is a trusted international leader for exploring how our environments affect our health, and how we can better steward our surroundings so we all have an opportunity to live a long, healthy life.
On a typical day at the Center, you can talk to scientists about the environmental and health benefits of offshore wind farms before they head to give a lecture to public health students about their recent research in Indonesia. Then you can walk down the hall to discuss these farms’ economic potential with a graduate student researcher in the Sustainable Technologies and Health program, who is preparing to testify about their research to Congress. Next, you might run into a group of SHINE members, some of the greatest minds in corporate sustainability and health, coming out of a meeting where they discussed their upcoming trip to Denmark to measure the benefits a company creating wind turbines creates for human health and the enviornment.
To achieve the healthiest possible future, we must unite the skills and expertise of many disciplines and professions.
We cannot solve the greatest challenges to our health by working in isolation. As the world around us rapidly changes, scientists must more actively share their knowledge so we can better protect our health. The Center for Health and the Global Environment translates science into tools that guide organizations, governments, and communities across the world to better protect our health.
In particular, we:
- Research the environments that affect our health to better understand how we can ensure people and the places we live are resilient in a rapidly changing world.
- Test innovative ways to build and steward our surroundings so that we can all live long, healthy lives.
- Translate complex, rigorous science into resources and tools that accelerate change for a healthier world.
- Bring together people to learn and share innovative ideas that improve the places in which we live.
- Train current and future leaders to conduct scientific research that enhances our understanding of how our surroundings shape our health.
The Center is now under the leadership of Director John D. Spengler Ph.D. and Associate Director Aaron Bernstein M.D., M.P.H.